The finalists for the 2020 James Beard Awards have been announced and I loved seeing so many of my own favorites from 2019 make it to the final showdown. Like many other awards, the big gala to announce the James Beard Award winners has been canceled, but we will still celebrate these amazing cookbooks and authors as we tune in online to see who takes home the prize—including the Cookbook of the Year—on May 27th.
Here are the finalists in five of the thirteen cookbook categories—every one of them is a winner in my book and I can't wait to see who will take home the coveted James Beard medals in just a few weeks.
- Cook Like a Local: Flavors That Can Change How You Cook and See the World by Chris Shepherd
- Jubilee: Recipes from Two Centuries of African American Cooking by Toni Tipton-Martin
- South: Essential Recipes and New Explorations by Sean Brock
BAKING AND DESSERTS
- Dappled: Baking Recipes for Fruit Lovers by Nicole Rucker
- Living Bread: Tradition and Innovation in Artisan Bread Making by Daniel Leader
- Pastry Love: A Baker's Journal of Favorite Recipes by Joanne Chang
BEVERAGE WITH RECIPES
- Last Call: Bartenders on Their Final Drink and the Wisdom and Rituals of Closing Time by Brad Thomas Parsons
- The Martini Cocktail: A Meditation on the World's Greatest Drink, with Recipes by Robert Simonson
- The NoMad Cocktail Book by Leo Robitschek
- All About Dinner: Simple Meals, Expert Advice by Molly Stevens
- Milk Street: The New Rules: Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook by Christopher Kimball
- Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook by Carla Lalli Music
- Black Sea: Dispatches and Recipes—Through Darkness and Light by Caroline Eden
- Ethiopia: Recipes and Traditions from the Horn of Africa by Yohanis Gebreyesus
- The Food of Sichuan by Fuchsia Dunlop
It's the final showdown…which of these finalists will take home a coveted James Beard medal?