Beautiful Boards is one of my new favorites of the fall season. It's filled with inspiration for taking good snacks and making them eye-catching and fun. There are boards designed for movie night, football game afternoons, and even a sweets-laden unicorn board. If you've got a reason to snack (and there's also options to create a whole meal), there is likely a board in this cookbook to make it special.
Below is a sample board that I think is perfect for the Thanksgiving holiday coming up fast. Not only does it look beautiful, it's also easy to pull together, and a great excuse to pull out any interesting little bowls you might hanging out in the cupboard. It's a gluten-free board, but doesn't look like it, which also makes it perfect for taking to a Thanksgiving meal where you may not know all the other guests and their dietary restrictions.
If you've got family in town for the holiday, or have guests coming early, this is also a lovely snack board to put out for keeping hunger at bay without spoiling anyone's appetite for the main event.
Serves 6-8 people
Use an 18 x 11-inch (46 x 28 cm) board
You’d never guess this snack board was completely gluten-free just by looking at it. There are tons of gluten-free snack options available these days, which makes it easy to assemble a great spread for everyone to enjoy, whether they follow a gluten-free diet or not. With plenty of naturally gluten-free snacks, such as cheeses, fruits, veggies, and nuts, and several tasty packaged food options, such as pretzels, crackers, chips, and popcorn, this board is a snacking sensation!
¾ cup (180 g) salsa (store-bought or see recipe on page 157)
¾ cup (180 g) spinach and kale Greek yogurt dip (store-bought or see recipe on page 159)
10 to 12 mixed olives
¼ cup (65 g) creamy peanut butter or almond butter
¼ cup (80 g) honey
24 gluten-free pretzel sticks
1 small bunch green grapes
1 wedge (4 ounces, or 112 g) blue cheese
½ cup (60 g) Swiss cheese cubes
6 rolls mozzarella wrapped with prosciutto
6 rolls mozzarella wrapped with salami
15 multiseed gluten-free crackers
15 rice crackers
20 gluten-free tortilla chips
1½ cups (90 g) vegetable chips
18 to 20 roasted plantain chips
5 small radishes, sliced
6 petite carrots, peeled
½ bell pepper (any color), cut into strips
¼ red apple, thinly sliced
¼ green apple, thinly sliced
¾ cup (12 g) popped popcorn
½ cup (75 g) whole roasted almonds
1. Put the salsa, Greek yogurt dip, and olives in small serving bowls and place the bowls across the board. Put the peanut butter, honey, and pretzel sticks into small jars and place the jars on the board.
2. Arrange the grapes in the bottom-left corner of the board.
3. Place the blue cheese wedge and Swiss cheese cubes on the board, followed by the meat and cheese rolls.
4. Fan the multiseed crackers around the Greek yogurt dip bowl and the rice crackers around the blue cheese and olives.
5. Place the tortilla chips around the salsa, then arrange the vegetable chips on the top of the board and the plantain chips on the bottom of the board.
6. Fan the radish slices around the other side of the Greek yogurt dip bowl. Add the carrots, bell pepper slices, and red and green apple slices to the board.
7. Fill in the gaps on the board with the popcorn and almonds.