For the Amazon Books editors, all the reading, writing, and discussing that we do leads to one event: The Best Books of the Year. This is the announcement we are always aiming toward. It is in the backs of our minds whenever we read a book and whenever we select a Best of the Month list.
So it was fun to talk on the podcast about a decade's worth of our #1 picks of the year.
For the record, our best of the year books were The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach, The Round House by Louise Erdrich, The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff, The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead, Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann, Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover, and The Testaments by Margaret Atwood.
Here is a basic run of show:
Seira, Erin, Sarah, Vannessa, and Chris discuss a decade's worth of #1 picks.
- 0:34 - Who on the editorial team was at Amazon ten years ago?
- 1:57 - How we choose the best book of the year.
- 3:05 - Seira Wilson's most memorable moment from Best of the Year.
- 4:18 - The year we stuck to our guns.
- 6:18 - Our top pick of 2010.
- 6:37 - Our top pick of 2011.
- 7:40 - Our top pick of 2012.
- 8:07 - Our top pick of 2013.
- 9:23 - Our top pick of 2014.
- 10:08 - Our top pick of 2015.
- 11:05 - Our top pick of 2016.
- 12:28 - Our top pick of 2017.
- 14:00 - Our top pick of 2018.
- 14:28 - Our top pick of 2019.
- 15:58 - Which of these books (plus some books that didn't make #1) do we think people will still be talking about 10 years from now?
- 23:53 - Is it real or is it from a book?
You can find links to the podcast here:
The Amazon Books editors explore their #1 picks of the year from 2010 to today.