I am the bravest Amazon Books editor, because of the categories I manage for our Best of the Month and Best of the Year efforts. Art & Photography? Good luck pleasing anyone; that stuff's in the eye of the beholder. Nonficton? Frustratingly undefined by what it is not, without even the potency of anti. But Humor & Entertainment is the worst. What's funny or engaging to me will likely mystify, possibly offend many others if not most. As they say, One man's trash is another man's treasure, while others treasure what they know to be trash.
But as Popeye said, "I am what I am," and one thing that I am is the Humor & Entertainment editor here. So, again, I have done my best within my own admitted limitations. Dear reader, you will find no joke books here—it might make more sense to think of this as a list of books about humorists and entertainers, full of writers and artists who fit my outsized appreciation for the weird, iconoclastic, absurd, and sometimes (seemingly) pointless—but all genius in one way or another.
Enjoy, if you will, a closer look at a few of our selections, and see everything in the Best Books of 2018.
More of the best humor and entertainment books of the year:
- Robin by Dave Itzkoff
- Room to Dream by David Lynch
- My Love Story by Tina Turner
- All the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire by Jonathan Abrams
- How to American: An Immigrant's Guide to Disappointing Your Parents by Jimmy O. Yang
- I Wrote This Book Because I Love You: Essays by Tim Kreider
- Just the Funny Parts: … And a Few Hard Truths About Sneaking into the Hollywood Boys’ Club by Nell Scovell
- Let's Go (So We Can Get Back): A Memoir of Recording and Discording with Wilco, Etc. by Jeff Tweedy
- Paul Simon: The Life by Robert Hilburn
- Caddyshack: The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story by Chris Nashawaty
- My Own Devices: True Stories from the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love by Dessa
- Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a Masterpiece by Michael Benson
- Don't Make Me Pull Over!: An Informal History of the Family Road Trip by Richard Ratay
- Men in Blazers Present Encyclopedia Blazertannica: A Suboptimal Guide to Soccer, America's "Sport of the Future" Since 1972 by Roger Bennett and Michael Davies
You might also like:
- Announcing the Best Books of 2018
- The Best Nonfiction of 2018
- The Best Art & Photography Books of 2018
Subscribe to the Amazon Book Review, featuring picks for the best books of the month, author interviews, reading recommendations, and more from the Amazon Books editors.