The holidays are right around the corner and one of my favorite things to give is--of course--books. This is especially true when I'm shopping for kids and teenagers who spend so much time staring at their phones when a magical world of reading awaits...
With school break lasting weeks (but can feel like forever), this is also the perfect time to get young readers started on a new series. I loved boxed sets as a kid and still do. For the little ones, there are adorable gift sets and special editions of modern classics.
One of the new gift sets I'm in love with this year is Dragons Love Tacos 2 Book & Toy Set --the tiny stuffed dinosaurs with their tiny tacos may very well end up on my desk before the year is out. Holly Black wrapped up her The Folk of the Air trilogy and that boxed set is one I'll be giving to at least one teen on my list.
If you're looking for inspiration, below you'll find some of the gift books we love for young readers on your list. You'll find many more of our recommendations for gift books here.
Shop on Amazon
Sandra Boynton is always a good bet and her newest board book, Dinosnores, is oh-so-cute. Other favorites for this age include:
- Guess How Much I Love You 25th Anniversary Slipcase Edition by Sam McBratney
- This Is Baby by Jimmy Fallon
Since the debut of Mother Bruce back in 2015, kids and parents have fallen for this grumpy but lovable bear, and the latest installment, Bruce's Big Storm, is every bit as sweet and funny as the first. More picture book favorites for preschoolers and kindergartners:
- Three Cheers for Kid McGear! by Sherri Duskey Rinker
- Go, Girls, Go! by Frances Gilber
- Good Night, Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
- Jon Klassen's Hat Box by Jon Klassen (box includes all three bestselling titles: I Want My Hat Back, This Is Not My Hat, We Found a Hat)
>Shop on Amazon
Kid favorite Dav Pilkey hits a bestseller home run with every new book he writes. His Dog Man graphic novel series is always a huge hit with readers, even those who don't think books are fun. This new boxed set is a great way to introduce kids to Dog Man because once they've read one they'll soon be asking for more... More of our picks for ages 6 to 8:
- Penny and Her Sled by Kevin Henkes
- Little People, BIG DREAMS: Music Stars by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara (box set includes hardcover books on: Ella Fitzgerald, Dolly Parton, and Josephine Baker)
Shop on Amazon
Even if you or someone on your list already has all the Harry Potter books, the illustrated editions are kind of a must-have. They are stunning. Scholastic puts out one a year--2019 is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Illustrated Edition-- and it's always a gift I give and want to receive... More favorites for this age:
- The Raymie Nightingale Three-Book Collection by Kate DiCamillo (set includes: Raymie Nightingale, Louisiana’s Way Home, and Beverly, Right Here)
- Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation by Stuart Gibbs
- Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book 14) by Jeff Kinney
- Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea) by Thomas Taylor
You might also like:
- Editors Picks: Best Children's Books of 2019
- Gift Picks for Little Bookworms
- Other posts on kids' and young adult books and authors
- Best Kids Books of the Month
Sign up for the Amazon Book Review: Best books of the month * author interviews * the reading life * and more