The nominees for the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards were announced on Tuesday, April 19, with the winners to be crowned at Comic-Con International in San Diego on July 22.
According to the announcement from Comic-Con International, Fantagraphics and Image Comics acquired the most nominations (17 for Fantagraphics, and 14 for Image plus another 4 shared nominations). Women creators received a record 61 nominations versus 44 last year--a stark contrast to the all-male shortlist of the Angoule?me Festival’s "Grand Prix" Award in January this year, which led several of the nominees to withdraw their names from the Angoule?me Award in protest.
Below is a selection of the 30 award categories. The full list can be found here.
Best Continuing Series
- Bandette, by Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover (Monkeybrain)
- Giant Days, by John Allison, Lissa Treiman, and Max Sarin (BOOM! Studios/BOOM! Box)
- Invincible, by Robert Kirkman, Ryan Ottley, and Cliff Rathburn (Image/Skybound)
- Silver Surfer, by Dan Slott and Michael Allred (Marvel)
- Southern Bastards, by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour (Image)
Best Limited Series
- Chrononauts, by Mark Millar and Sean Murphy (Image)
- The Fade Out, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (Image)
- Lady Killer, by Joëlle Jones and Jamie S. Rich (Dark Horse)
- Minimum Wage: So Many Bad Decisions, by Bob Fingerman (Image)
- The Spire, by Simon Spurrier and Jeff Stokely (BOOM! Studios)
Best New Series
- Bitch Planet, by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine De Landro (Image)
- Harrow County, by Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook (Dark Horse)
- Kaijumax, by Zander Cannon (Oni)
- Monstress, by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda (Image)
- Paper Girls, by Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang (Image)
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, by Ryan North and Erica Henderson (Marvel)
Subscribe to Omnivoracious: The Amazon Book Review for our picks of best books of the month, author interviews, reading recommendations, and more from the Amazon Books editors